0
Under review

Cover Display and Linux Bash scripts (not sure if should go in questions or bug)

Sparky 6 months ago updated 5 months ago 9

I looked through the forums but I couldnt find a similar issue to the one I am facing.
I'm new to Ubooquity but I'm fairly tech savvy I think.
Environtment:
LXC debian stretch unprivileged container on Ubuntu 18.04

java - jre1.8.0_201


1st - When I run Ubooquity in a headless server environment I was getting an error displayed for the cover art I was getting an error, after a bit of googling and digging around it appears to be related to how its trying to get to the x11 display that doesnt exist in the environment (due to it being headless) and I added -Djava.awt.headless=true to the start up and it now displays the default cover art but it doesn't display the cover art that is installed.
some more details:


/usr/java/jre1.8.0_201/bin/java -Djava.awt.headless=true -jar Ubooquity.jar --headless --adminport 2233 --remoteadmin

2nd - The linux bash files are out of date at least the sorce of them that I found which was the link on the official documentation
(http://vaemendis.net/ubooquity/downloads/scripts/) if you would like updated scripts let me know and I can send them to you but this is using out dated options as well as not set to log.

Oh and I tested it in the direct Ubuntu environment and it did show the covers with the same files so I am not sure if it is something specific to how LXC is handling it or debian stretch etc.

After a little more testing this does appear to be a problem with the Calibre Project Gutenberg books, as I have a few other private epubs that have working cover pages.

Then it's probably either a problem with the ebook "format" (like SVG instead of jpg/png), or something you should be able to fix, if you can, by just "upgrading" the format of the book to epub 3.x (i've got quite a lot of epub that didn't display cover and i fixed them by converting those epub to v3 and then "tadaa" cover showed up in ubooquity).

Thanks, do you have any recommendations for how to get them to epub v3? i dont see a version option in calibre.

Under review

Indeed, Ubooquity does not support SVG covers.

But it does not require epub v3 either. So I guess that the conversion had another side effect that fixed the files.

As for the launch script, if you have a better version I'd be happy to replace the current one with yours (as long as it remains simple, I want it to be an understandable entry point for users).

Here is the file on my github, ubooquity.sh. I couldnt figure out how to upload it directly here.
I haven't had a chance to take a look at the log reading file (I typically have a tail -f rather than a script to read). I am not much of a programmer so not much has changed the only other thing I would request is a restart command as well.
The main changes to the file are:
I added an admin port line as I am running of the CLI and I would think others who use it would be as well.
and the Java start line I added a headless command as well as fixed the arguments that were old (like the webadmin one). I also changed the logging to log to the regular log file as it was going to /dev/null I believe (which is how I figured out the problem with the commands). 

You're right, the script on the site is completely obsolete !

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll include them (without "-Djava.awt.headless=true" as it is redundant with "--headless").

Ahh I hadn't noticed I did that. Thanks

Sparky: When you convert to the epub format in Calibre, the top bottom menu/dialog on the left side contain the "target" epub version in a dropdown menu.

I'm making all my epubs v3 like that so i don't have to redo them later, and everything is like i want it to be. ;)